Sunday, January 8, 2012

I am the Pizza Monster

This is a 5 Year Journal post. The goal is to answer a simple journal prompt each day of the year as a real record of daily life in this moment. 

January 8: What is the last really good thing you ate?

I love pizza so much its almost obscene. Now that I'm trying to take care of myself more, I am limiting the amount of carry-out pizza I eat. But I can't just break up with all pizza completely. I'm not sure a pizza-less life would be worth living…

So on pizza night (which is Thursday, if you were wondering – just in time for 30 Rock and Parks and Rec) we've been making what we've termed "Dippin' Stix", which we dip into my homemade pizza sauce, which is to die for. I can't even explain how much I love this sauce. Here is the recipe!

Dippin Stix
-Loaf of Italian Bread
-I Can't Believe its Not Butter Light spread (or butter if you’re feelin’ bold)
-Garlic Powder
-Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Slice bread into 1-inch thick slices. (I usually allow about 5 ounces of bread per person, but you can divvy out the bread amounts as you see fit!) Spread a thin layer of the Not Butter spread onto each slice. (I usually try to use about 1 to 1.5 tbs per 5 ounces of bread to keep the fat and calories in check.) Sprinkle garlic powder to taste over the bread. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over each slice of bread. (I allot about 2 ounces of cheese per 5 ounces of bread.) Bake in a 400 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Use a pizza cutter to slice into stix!

Mouth = Watering

Galaxy's Best Pizza Sauce
-2 medium onions, finely chopped
-1 28 ounce can of tomato puree
-1 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
-1 small can of Italian Style tomato paste
-5 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
-2 tbs olive oil
-2 tsp dried basil
-2 tsp dried oregano
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 cup sugar (if you like your sauce less sweet, decrease to 2 tbs)

Coat large pot with oil and saute onions and garlic over med or med-hi heat until the onions are soft and golden. Add all other ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Turn heat to low or med-low and let simmer for about an hour. You will need a vented lid or a splash guard - this sauce is very active and likes to Jackson Pollock your stove, backsplash, and counters with its red, tomatoey goodness. Which is decidedly more good if it stays in the pot.

This sauce recipe makes several servings. We usually use about a cup per person for our Dippin Stix, but you may use less if you are not a sauce person. We are sauce people. Use what you need the first night and then freeze the rest. I usually divide the sauce into 1 cup servings and pour into sandwich size zip top bags, then put all those bags into a gallon zip top bag and freeze. Then I take out what I need and  after a quick thaw in the microwave or in a bowl of warm water (while the bag is still sealed!) its good to go.

I know you will be tempted to just use canned or jarred pizza or marinara sauce. Resist! I know its easier, but this recipe is really pretty painless and its SO much better, in my most humble opinion! At least try it once!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...