Monday, March 7, 2011

Estrogen: Invented by Satan



With no time to come up for air we have already started drug stimulation for our LAST IVF cycle - transferring the two frozen embryos that resulted from last month's egg retrieval. While the drug protocol is much simpler for a frozen cycle, it impacts me much more severely. I am taking estrogen three times a day to prepare my uterine lining for the transfer. Estrogen turns me into a stereotypical woman with PMS X 10.  I do things on estrogen that I never do under normal circumstances.

  • I cried while listening to a song in the car today. When the song was over I replayed it twice, crying the entire time. (A cover of Bob Dylan's To Make You Feel My Love) I don't cry at songs in real life.

  • Yesterday I spent two hours sitting on the couch trying to decide if I wanted to take a shower or not.

  • Today I really wanted a turkey and sun-dried tomato bagel sandwich from Bruegger's but settled for Arby's because it meant I didn't have to get out of the car.

  • Today I had to take frequent bathroom breaks not to answer the call of nature but to have a "cry break" in private.

  • This afternoon/evening my abdomen felt worse than it did right after retrieval/transfer. It felt like all my internal organs were bathed in acid and ballooning up to the point they were going to burst out of my skin and I didn't know why. Randy read that bloating and stomach pain can be a side effect of the estrogen.


Needless to say, I (and probably everyone around me) will be glad to to bid good riddance to this poison forever more.

6 comments:

  1. You fooled me today. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just tell me it was the Adele cover and not the Garth Brooks one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not mock your pain, but you crack me up! And just for the record....some of us do *occasionally* sit on the couch for 2 hours * deciding whether or not to take a shower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl - I'd seriously love to talk with you about going to see Solomon Wickey. Email me so I can give you a little more information. It's free, won't cost you a penny and after seeing how he helped Jennie (and many other women) conceive without IVF again I really think it would be worth while. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "To Make You Feel My Love" makes me cry all the time (mostly the Adelle version). Excess estrogen, however, does make me cry at McDonald's commercials, magazine ads, and every country song ever written. Truly, I don't feel as if I have a full PMS unless I am searching for a shovel and alibi.
    Sending some soul sista' mojo your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh IVF, I feel your pain, I've been where you are and it's not a fun place to be. Hoping and praying it works. After 8 years of infertility we made the leap to adoption and this was our biggest blessing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...